Why and when your consent is necessary
When you register as a patient of our clinic, you provide consent for our staff to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible healthcare. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Our clinic will need to collect your personal information to provide healthcare services to you. Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to manage your health. We also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, clinic audits and accreditation, and business processes (eg staff training).
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you includes your:
- names, date of birth, addresses, contact details
- medical information including medical history, medications, allergies, adverse events, immunisations, social history, family history and risk factors
- Medicare number (where available) for identification and claiming purposes
- healthcare identifiers
- health fund details.
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals.
How do we collect your personal information?
Our clinic may collect your personal information in several different ways.
- When you make your first appointment our staff will collect your personal and demographic information via your registration.
- During the course of providing medical services, we may collect further personal information.
- We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media.
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian or responsible person
- other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
- your health fund, or Medicare.
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- with third parties who work with our clinic for business purposes, such as accreditation agencies, or information technology providers – these third parties are required to comply with Australia Privacy Principles (APPs) and this policy
- with other healthcare providers
- when it is required or authorised by law (eg court subpoenas)
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety
- when you are unable to act on your own behalf due to a health condition, we may need to discuss your health information with relatives or emergency contacts, in order that you are provided with appropriate care
- to assist in locating a missing person
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (eg some diseases require mandatory notification)
- during the course of providing medical services, through eTP, My Health Record (eg via Shared Health Summary, Event Summary).
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing medical services or as otherwise described in this policy, our clinic will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not disclose your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
Our clinic will not use your personal information for marketing any of our goods or services directly to you without your express consent. If you do consent, you may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our clinic in writing.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal information may be stored at our clinic in various forms, but principally in a secure electronic health record. Our clinic stores all personal information securely, including any paper-based information eg. consent form.
All staff sign a confidentiality agreement on being employed at Michael Keogh Exercise Physiology & Health Coaching.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our clinic?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
Our clinic acknowledges patients may request access to their medical records. We require you to put this request in writing via email, and our clinic will respond within a reasonable time of 1 week.
Our clinic will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our clinic is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our clinic?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing. We will then attempt to resolve it in accordance with our resolution procedure. Any complaints may be sent to email@example.com or call us on 0402 280 343.
You may also contact the OAIC. Generally, the OAIC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992.
Privacy and our website
Any information collecting through our website is treated as confidential information and stored securely, and treated with the highest level of care as described above.
Policy review statement